This past weekend a long-time friend of mine laid her father to rest. I use the term father in the meaning that he was her dad regardless of biology. He was the one she looked to for strength and support growing up. I am so deeply saddened by his loss for her. It’s later in life when you truly start to dread the hurts of those you love and care about coming true for you as well.
I don’t consider myself a morbid person but I do think about losing my parents from time to time. I have been blessed with 4 amazing parents who have been nothing but supportive and helpful in getting me this far in life. I tear up thinking of the day when I have to say goodbye to any of them.
I was reminded of the transitions we go through in life today with the real first winter storm blowing through our community. Yesterday was just another fall day but today is cold and snowy with dropping temperatures promised overnight. There are so many times in our lives we go through changes and they’re not always for the better. Sometimes things transition and our lives are forever changed; like the loss of our parents.
I have much to be thankful for as we move into this winter season but I did want to take a moment to think about those who have loved and lost and those who have given everything for us. Veteran’s Day is tomorrow. As a woman in love with a Veteran I am certain that no amount of thankful praise or love will ever explain to him how deep my gratitude goes for his sacrifice and service. It’s a debt that can never be repaid and I will forever be thankful for him and all of the millions of others.
Allow yourself to experience the transitions in life. They are here for all of us. All of us have a season of love, grief, happiness and sorrow. Allow it to develop and learn how to dress for the new season. If you need a jacket of warm hugs make sure to surround yourself with those who can provide that comfort. If you need rejoicing time please include people who will wholeheartedly rejoice right along side you.
- I love the change of seasons. I love the beauty of freshly fallen snow and the mashing of two seasons together.
- I admit it…I have Christmas music playing right now. 🙂
- I’m so in love with my fiancé I can hardly contain my excitement to have found the partner I’ve longed for.
- We had a date night the other night with one set of parents. Never underestimate the fun you can have double-dating with your parents. Love them!
- The puppies are happy to be sleeping the days away when it gets colder. Can’t say I blame them. 😉